There was a little pile of lumber leaning up against the door frame to the patio, tucked in a corner that could be ignored until you wanted to lean something else in the same spot. I’ve never been a fan of throwing useful things away, content to have it lay ready for the day I needed a few feet of lumber to build something small. With the recent acquisition of a sample can of paint, I put that lumber to good use to test out the paint and make a fun little Valentine’s project.
We are often using oven mitts to protect the counter from hot pots and pans, and it looked like there was just enough lumber to create a rustic looking trivet for the kitchen. The design was simple enough, essentially a small shipping palette. I butted three of the lengths of wood together, wide enough for our largest pot, and measured the distance. Using a very old (circa 1984) circular saw (quality lasts!), I cut the leftover pieces into five lengths equal to the width of the three boards. After all of the lumber was cut to size I had about 10 cm to spare. Perfect!
I wanted the trivet to feature invisible connections, so I put in all of the screws through the bottom. I butted the three pieces together with the nicer sides facing down and marked the boards 2.5 cm in from the perpendicular edges as a guide for the support boards. I placed the support boards with the nice side facing up along the marks.
Using a drill with a narrow bit, narrower than the wood screws I was using, I drilled holes through the boards that would be the bottom and half way through the ‘top’ boards. I drilled two holes for every bottom/top connection, twelve in all for this design, probably overkill, but I can rest easy that it will never fall apart.
A handy trick is to use a little bit of masking tape to mark the bit to the depth you need, then there’s no fear of popping out the other side. Strata councils are not a fan of holes in the common property! The reason for the holes is two fold, it makes it a little easier to get the screws in ,and most importantly, it greatly reduces the chance of your wood splitting.
I put all of the screws in and it had the rough piece complete! The lumber wasn’t the smoothest on the cut lines and surfaces, but nothing a little sanding wouldn’t fix. I did most of the work with a palm sander with a medium grit. I smoothed the whole thing down and rounded off the corners a little as it was destined to be handled in the kitchen.
Our trivet now needed to show a little love! Nina picked up a coupon for a sample jar of Country Chic Paint, a relatively new paint based out of nearby Duncan, BC. Full disclosure: this is not a sponsored post. We lucked upon a coupon for a small sample jar and decided to give it a try. We’re always looking for new materials! We chose the colour Cherry Blossom for a warm Valentine feel.
Using some scissors and paper, I created a quick heart shape and traced it out on the top surface of the trivet. Then using many, many small pieces of painters tape, I followed the guide and masked off the heart shape, making sure to burnish the edges with some scissor handles to ensure a tight seal against spreading paint. I then taped on some pieces of paper to protect the outer edges from my usual over zealous paint strokes.
The paint went on really well! I ended up putting on three coats, as one was just a little too thin, but three was probably too much for what I wanted. The Goldilocks coat would have been two, allowing for consistent colour but still letting a little wood grain show through. Luckily, it still looks good. The colour looks very nice and brush clean up afterwards with a little soap and water was a snap!
After the paint was thoroughly dry, I peeled off the masking tape, always a tense moment, but it came out looking good. For future projects, I’ll have to push a little tape down into the valley where the boards meet as the paint spread under the mask in those sections, but it didn’t spread much as the paint is nice and thick. I can really see us using it to paint over upcycled furniture.
To retain a more natural look, we decided not to put on a sealer coat of varnish or wax. We’ll see how it holds up to a few hot meals and spills. A little use will hopefully give it a nice aged look. We’ll keep you updated on how it holds up! Now to cook something up and put it to good use!